Sunday 2 November 2014

Werewolf Makeup

I decided to go a bit more scary and gross for Halloween this year, but also wanted to try something that I hadn't seen many people do, so I went as a werewolf!

I absolutely loved creating this look, making prosthetics cuts & wounds is definitely something I'm going to be practicing and doing a lot more of - and it's surprisingly easy to do!



This look was meant to be completed with a set of yellow wolf contact lenses, but because I have a prescription, trying to hunt them down was a bit of a mission! I did eventually find some though, but they arrived the morning after Halloween! I might try this look out again with the lenses, because I think they would have pulled everything together.

Anyway, for this look, the makeup didn't really require anything special. I used...
- Selection of black/brown eyeshadows
- Lashes & mascara (this could be optional)
- Fake blood

With the eyeshadows, I used very fine brushes (which I wet) to create the hairy-look, and used these same eyeshadows for the lips and shading. You don't need to go overboard with the hairs, as I wanted to seem like I was in transformation from human to wolf. I made expressions to create wrinkles, and drew them in then blended them with my fingers for some extra effect. Then, I dabbed blood around my mouth/nostrils to make the look a bit more gorey.



I could have probably stopped here, but I felt adding claw wounds was more exciting and it made it look like i'd been in a werewolf fight! For this I needed:
- Liquid latex
- Tissues
- Blue/purple/yellow/red/brown eyeshadows (there's a lot of colours you can use)

The process is easy:
1. Using a sponge, apply some latex to wherever you want your wound to be.
2. Tear a tissue in half, so that the sheets are extra thin, and tear it to suit the shape of your wound. Stick this to the latex.
3. Repeat the process 3 or 4 times, until you have a relatively thick layer.
4. Once it's dried, paint the latex in foundation to match your skin tone.
5. Let this dry & using a paperclip or nail scissors, very carefully cut and tear the wound open.

Once this was done, I started using eyeshadows to create bruises and shading. I used lots of blood inside and around the cut, and it was as simple as that! Instead of using eyeshadows, it would be more effective with creamy products, but eyeshadows were all I had at university, and I'm happy with the result anyway.


I created claws by painting some fake nails yellow, and then once they'd dried I used a black nail varnish and blended from the bottom up. I kept the brush quite dry for a scratchy-effect. Using black facepaint, I blended the nails down my fingers. However, this paint didn't stay on for much of the night, so in future I'm going to find something more water & smudge proof.

My fangs were amazing! They stayed on all night and I could drink/talk easily. A lot of people I know haven't been able to drink with their fangs in, because the alcohol makes the glue come loose. I paid £15 for these, but it was definitely worth it, as they caused me no bother all night, and what's a werewolf without fangs! The make was 'Scarecrow' - I'm sure you can buy them online but I got them from a halloween shop.

To complete the look, I sprayed my hair in a black spray, which completely transformed the look as i'm a blonde! Thankfully, this spray came out and left no stains.

My outfit was simply a ripped oversized black T-shirt, with ripped tights where the wounds were, and a fur gilet. There's a lot you can work with, the most important thing is making sure you do a good job with the makeup & wounds.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed this!

Kirsty x

No comments:

Post a Comment